Everyone knows how expensive it can be to repair a malfunctioning HVAC unit. Affordable HVAC repairs can be hard to come by, and costs can easily range up into the thousands. Most repairs are too complex for the average homeowner to handle on their own, so it’s almost always necessary to call in a pro. However, expensive estimates can quickly have people considering other options, like calling a local handyman or using “a friend of a friend.” While this can sometimes work in your favor, it doesn’t always – and if you’re not careful, you could end up spending more than you bargained for. Consider the tips below when shopping for affordable HVAC repairs.
- Make sure the person doing the repairs is experienced – and bonus points if they work for a licensed and insured company.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions. After all, this is a big investment, and it’s one that should last for years to come. If you have a question about the repair or the associated costs, ask!
- Be ready to answer questions, too. A good HVAC repair technician should have several questions for you. They might ask about the history of the current unit, how it’s used, how it’s performed, etc. If you don’t have to answer questions, your tech isn’t doing his job.
- Don’t assume that all repair companies are the same. While it’s safe to say that most companies strive to be fair and honest, there are a few out there that will try to take advantage of you. Be on your guard for these bad apples, and take the time to research a company’s background and experience. Don’t forget to ask for references as well!
- Watch out for people that give you an estimate over the phone without any diagnostic testing. The truth is, no one can tell what’s wrong with your HVAC system without thoroughly examining it, so beware of companies that try to close the deal without even looking at your unit.