Furnace Energy Efficiency: Getting Lean and Green

Furnace energy efficiency isn’t exactly common dinner conversation in most households. However, it’s an important topic for homeowners and needs to be better understood. If you’re confused about your furnace’s energy efficiency, you aren’t alone. Read on for more about how to understand the numbers and what they mean for your home and family.

Start with finding the energy efficiency rating on your system. There should be a large, bright yellow tag with a number on it attached to your system. (This is assuming you didn’t tear it off after purchasing – which you shouldn’t do. Your home’s next owner will want this info too.) You should see a number over a line indicating the rating.

The higher the number, the better it is for you. The rating indicates how well the system works. It tells you what the ratio between heat produced and energy used is. A high number means that a large amount of heat is created using a relatively low amount of energy. If the number is, for example, 85 then about 85% of the energy used is actually converted into heat and the other 15% is lost.

So what does this mean for your home? Energy is what you have to pay for every month so it’s best to use it in the most efficient way possible! A higher number usually means a lower drain on your energy usage and therefore a lower power bill. This is obviously the desired result!

Unfortunately, the efficiency rating number alone will not determine how much you are paying or saving on your energy bills every month. The efficiency rating only measures the energy intake and heat output of the unit itself while working under ideal circumstances. It doesn’t take things like how it was installed or the quality of the ductwork into consideration.

You could have a rating of 96 on your system and still pay more than your neighbor with the same floorplan and same equipment if your ducts are leaky or the system wasn’t properly installed. If you feel that your system isn’t performing at its peak efficiency, call R&R Refrigeration today for an inspection.