Your A/C needs repair, and the Phoenix sun is beating down like never before. How do you choose the right repair person for the job? Selecting the first one on some website ad or out of an old-school phone book is never going to be the answer. Instead, you may have to do a bit of research. Use this checklist as your guide to selecting the right team for the job.
- Look for Experience: Finding a contractor with a solid level of experience does two things for you. First, it means you’re choosing a team who knows the industry inside and out, which technologies to use, and which brands work best. Second, it means you’re getting a team who truly knows what they’re doing; not someone who just finished his or her training and may not actually be able to repair your system from the outset.
- Look for a Guarantee: Not every team will be willing to warranty their repair work, but the best ones absolutely will. Find out how long the warranty is, what it covers, and what the conditions of that warranty might be. You may want to check with some previous clients to see exactly how good that warranty is.
- Look for a Licensed/Insured Team: If you’re going with experienced professionals, the chances are good that they’re going to be licensed and insured anyway, but it never hurts to double-check. This will help you know more about exactly what you’re getting yourself into before you get started. Contractors who are licensed have already passed competency tests with the state. Those who are insured will cover any damages to your property they cause and cannot hold you liable for any injuries they happen to suffer while on the job. There are no substitutes for these two guarantees.
- Look for Price: You’re not going to want to go with a bid that’s seriously lower than all of the other HVAC contractors on the market. It’s a red flag that you simply don’t want to ignore. Most good teams, though, do what they can to ensure you get the best possible price, so look for a lower price combined with phenomenal service to help make certain you’re going to get the best possible deal on the market.
- Look for Brands: Good HVAC contractors deal with a variety of the biggest industry brands. Someone who carries no name systems probably isn’t going to be able to give you the level of service or the overall product line that you actually want for your home. Those that deal with the big brands are also required to pass their dealer tests, so it’s one more sign of a high quality outfit.
At some point, you’re going to need a good HVAC team. Take the time to find one that works for you now before a problem occurs.